Monday, June 26, 2006

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Ghost!

I’ve only been posting for a short time, but I want to state explicitly that I truly desire to make this a positive blog. I’m not here to tear others down, so I won’t be doing a great deal of contemplation of what’s wrong with every other denomination or church body. There is enough web space devoted to that already. I think it is the duty of every Christian cleric (and the entire Church militant) to focus on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for in this priestly service we seek to bring others into union with God the Father through the Son. Anglicans, I believe, have often tried to do that in their worship. We have a liturgy that we cherish because we believe it is orthodox and catholic in its teaching and allows us to humbly enter into the worship of the Triune God. As a result of that, Anglicans have usually placed emphasis as well on the idea of sacred space (although we do indeed believe that Christ is present when two or three are gathered for the preaching of the Word, prayer, and the Sacraments—especially the great sacrament of the Holy Eucharist). With that in mind, I’d like to begin a short “blog series” on some of the parish churches of classical Anglicanism to inform and inspire others to “worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.” The first church is Saint Mark’s in Vero Beach, Florida. This is a parish in the Anglican Province of America and it is beautifully designed for traditional liturgical worship and “illustrated” with some excellent stained glass; the photos that accompany this entry are of St. Mark’s. Behind the altar there is the stained glass shown above with Christ the King.

If you have a church you’d like to see highlighted here please let me know.

2 comments:

Mike+ said...

Derrick+

Thanks for posting pictures of our little parish. I'm glad to know that it's as encouraging to others as it is to us.

MLW+

Rev. Dr. Stephen Lake said...

I very much welcome your approach in this blog. Your posts are rich in theology and the truth and beauty that resides within the rich history of our church--amen! I think I know who you are, my 'Anglican Cleric' friend. I will link to you on my blog, as well.